1603 to 1714
Documentary Record & The National Archive
The Church Records indicate a village population of about 125 in 1603 & the village is mentioned as prosperous in the Wiltshire Inquisitions Post Mortem of Charles I (c.1630). Reference throughout the Inquisitions PM of South Marston residents Munday, Gyves, Organ, & Ringe to “land lately enclosed out of the marsh” or “of the common fields” suggests that enclosure had taken hold by 1600, forming most of the field patterns we see today (which are also shown on the 1840 Tithe Map).
The Church Records list five baptisms for the family of Mr James Goddard from 1599 to 1605, three baptisms for the family of his son, Thomas, from 1632 to 1636, one for Richard Goddard in 1653 and eight for James & Ellenor Goddard from 1653 to 1673. The Church Records indicate them to be gentry & they might have been part of the Goddard family who owned Swindon Manor at this time but although their arrival in the village coincided with the departure of the Hungerfords it does not seem that they purchased the manor which appears to have been sold by the Hungerfords to the Southbys in 1661 (following the expiry of the lease to Organ?).
The most burials in the Church Records, thirteen, occurred in 1644, including an un-named soldier, killed in a local skirmish in the Civil War? Family names recorded in this century included Akerman, Kinge, Bennett, Becke, Fisher, Walker, Wilde, Butler, Stone, Crook, Berry, Baker, Baily, Goldingham, Rogers, Powell, Humphryes, Waldron and Mundy.
The Mundy, Munday, Mundaie, Mundey, Mundie, Mundye name appears throughout the records from 1539 to 1840. In 1625 there are five consecutive burials for the Mundy family (one of the outbreaks of plague?) & the 1625 Inquisition Post Mortem of Henry Munday deceased states that he owned a house in the village &; 75 acres of land.
The National Archive includes wills, deeds & leases of several generations of Mundays (1604, 1666, 1676, 1679 & 1735) & the Wiltshire & Swindon Archive Catalogue Wills Search which reveals 120 wills of South Marston residents from 1500 to 1900 including 9 for the Mundys (1626, 1666, 1671, 1683, 1713, 1735, 1825).
The National Archive is an online database of historical documents held in museums across the Country & holds hundreds of deeds, documents, wills &; photographs for South Marston from 1500 to today, most are held at the Wiltshire &; Swindon History Centre in Chippenham, some are barely legible &; it would undoubtedly be a lifetime’s work to decipher them. They include deeds of the Cusses & their farm (1620, 1632 &; 1658-1712), documents tracing the house, marriage, death, mortgages &; inheritance of the Akerman family & deeds heralding the arrival in the village of the Southbys in the 1760’s.
The 1629 Inquisition PM of Joan Gyves of Marlborough, daughter of Thomas Cullerne, refers to 70 acres of land at Great Rowborowe, East Rowborowe & Great Rowborowe Hamme & a lane called Rowborowe Lane but no farmhouse &; the National Archive includes deeds of the fields Great Rowborough (1712) & East Rowborough (1713).
The Goddards, Organs, Cusses, Mundays &; latterly the Southbys are the likely farming gentry &; employers in 17th Century South Marston.
Maps of Wiltshire from 1681 to 1744 indicate that South Marston was on a primary route, from Highworth to Marlborough.