Results of the Village Development Workshop – 15th September 2010
Over 50 South Marston residents attended a workshop at the South Marston Hotel on 15th September with the aim of identifying some of the infrastructure and design features and facilities that they would like to see incorporated into the village development. It is intended that these ideas will be submitted by the village for Swindon Borough Council to incorporate into the South Marston Supplementary Planning Document (SPD).
In some areas the views of the village were very clear but further discussion is required in others. Issues on which the attendees had a clear preference included:
- Mains sewerage for all new and existing properties
- Eco-friendly design of all new buildings
- Housing specifically designed for elderly people
- Community shop, with Post Office delivery/collection service
- Retention of current recreation ground and its expansion in the village central area
- Daytime bus service through the village centre
- Safe pathway/cycleway between village and Gablecross
Areas which required further consideration included:
- Provision of housing as live/work units
- Village Hall and medical facilities
- Traffic management (noting that problems of speed and volume of traffic could not resolved by footpaths and crossing points alone)
There was concern that a ‘wish list’ of facilities may drive the design of the village and therefore it was important that the list was prioritised – many residents would prefer to sacrifice some facilities for fewer houses.
A discussion of ‘Piecemeal’ development (which may start out small but increase in size over a number of years in an uncontrolled manner) versus ‘Integrated’ development (where a final design is agreed at the outset, thus preventing additional development in the medium to long term) also took place. Although there was a preference for ‘Integrated’ development, many people were still undecided and need further information before deciding.
The Parish Council are now considering the next steps, with the aim of developing the village’s input to Swindon Borough Council’s Supplementary Planning Document for South Marston.
Detailed results of the workshop are available from the Clerk to the Parish Council or the South Marston website (www.southmarston.org.uk).