Re-launch of Non Emergency Number 101

The 101 non-emergency number was launched in Wiltshire last September (2011) as

part of the national roll-out.

Our 0845 408 7000 contact number has been running alongside this number with

approximately 40% of calls still coming in via this route, however, 0845 408

7000 ceased operation on 30 September 2012.

When should callers use 101?

The 101 national number gives local communities an easy way to contact police –

when it’s less urgent than 999.

In a non-emergency dial 101 if:

*       you want to report a crime/issue that does not require an immediate

emergency response

*       you or someone else are not in immediate danger

*       you would like to speak to your local police officer

*       you want to provide information about a crime

It is important to reiterate that 999 is still the number when you want to

contact the police in an emergency, such as:

*       you need an immediate response because a crime is in progress or you

think it is

*       you or someone else is injured or there is a threat to life

*       a serious road traffic collision has taken place

*       violence is being used or threatened

How does 101 work?

101 will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

When someone calls 101, they will hear a recorded message announcing that they

are being connected to their local police force. The system will determine the

caller’s location and connect them to the relevant police force.

If a caller is on a boundary between two or more forces, the recorded message

will give them a choice of which force to be connected to.

After a pause of approximately four seconds, the message will also give the

caller the option to select an alternative police force of their choice via an


What will happen to the current 0845 408 7000 number?

The 0845 number ceased on 30 September 2012. A recorded message asks people to

re-dial 101.

Can people who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, use 101?

People who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired can text-phone 18001


In an emergency, you can text 80999 from any phone.

Is it more expensive for the public to contact the police on 101?

Individual telephony companies currently decide on the cost of dialling an 0845

number so it depends on the contract/supplier opted for.

With 101 it has been nationally agreed that a flat rate of 15p will be charged

whether a member of the public is calling from a landline or mobile,

irrespective of how long their call lasts.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.