A Flood Alert has been issued by the Environment Agency for the River Cole and Dorcan Brook .
Flooding is possible for the River Cole and The Dorcan Brook for the East Swindon Area down to above Buscot Wick overnight..
Low lying land and roads will be affected first.
Be prepared to protect yourself, family, pets and property.
Heavy rain is forecast from Sunday evening through to Monday morning. This will lead to increased river levels, especially in smaller rivers and streams including the River Cole and Dorcan Brook. Strong winds are also predicted. This increases the likelihood of falling trees or other debris blocking drainage systems or river channels. In combination the heavy rain and high winds means there is an increased risk of flooding to low lying land and roads over night and into tomorrow morning. Environment Agency staff have been out throughout the day clearing debris and obstructions and will continue to do so. We are continuing to monitor the situation.
– Prepare a flood kit including a torch, batteries, mobile phone, warm clothes, water, food and any prescription medicines you may need.
– Avoid walking, cycling or driving through flood water.
– Farmers should consider moving livestock and equipment away from areas likely to flood.
– Keep an eye on local water levels and weather conditions. Visit the Environment Agency website http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk for river level and flooding information.
– Call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 using quickdial 171235 for up-to-date flooding information.
Environment Agency South East
West Thames Flood Warning Duty Officer
Red Kite House,
Howbery Park, Wallingford,
Oxon. OX10 8BD