Monday 4 September @ 7:30pm Pete and Bob Biggs talk about “Herbs in Season”. They will bring along a large selection of Herbs which go on sale at £2 each at the end of the evening.
Where: South Marston Village Hall, £2 entry fee on the door (for non members). Raffle and Refreshments available.
For more information, please contact Mike New on 827807 or 07999914751
South Marston Gardening Club – Flower and Produce Show to be held on Saturday 19 August 2017
Friday 18 August 7pm to 8:30pm – Register your Exhibits (see list below) at the Village Hall – Schedules 50p available from Mike New Tel. 827807
Saturday 19 August
10am to 12:30pm – Staging of Exhibits
1pm to 4pm – Judging takes place
5pm – Doors open to the public – Admission at door 20p (per adult)
Refreshments and Raffle available
5:30pm – Presentation of Show Winners followed by Auction of Produce (the Committee will be grateful for any exhibit left for sale) and Raffle Prize Draw
- 3 Potatoes (white)
- 3 Potatoes (coloured)
- 5 French Beans
- 5 Pods of Peas
- 5 Runner Beans
- 5 Broad Beans
- 3 Onions – under ½ lb in weight
- 3 Onions – over ½ lb in weight
- 3 Beetroot
- 3 Courgettes
- 3 Carrots
- 2 Cabbages
- 2 Cauliflowers
- 6 Pickling Shallots (under 30mm in diameter)
- 6 Large Shallots (over 30mm in diameter)
- 1 Cucumber
- 3 Tomatoes
- Truss of Tomatoes
- Collection of 5 different Vegetables (same quantity and variety as listed in classes 1 – 18 in a seed tray not exceeding 24” x 18”) i.e. 3 carrots, 2 cauliflowers, 3 onions, 3 beetroot and 3 French beans.
- Collection of any 5 Vegetables (one of each of any 5 different kinds in a seed tray not exceeding 18” x 12”)
- Collection of 5 Salad Vegetables (All different)
- Collection of Fresh Herbs
- Longest Runner Bean
- Heaviest Onion
- Heaviest Potato
- Any other Vegetable not on schedule
- Ugly or Misshapen Vegetable (Please give your vegetable a “name”)
- Bowl of Home Grown Fruit (5 of same kind)
- Fuchsia* – Standard – maximum length of stem from top of soil to first branch not to exceed 42”
- Hanging Basket*
* Above two entries (B & B1) £1 each entry
- 1 Single Rose
- 3 Roses
- 5 Asters (single or double)
- 3 Decorative Dahlias (multi coloured)
- 3 Cactus Dahlias
- 3 Pompom Dahlias (2” maximum diameter)
- 1 Specimen Dahlia (large)
- 3 Carnations
- 5 Pansies
- 5 Stalks of Sweet Peas
- 3 Spikes of Gladioli
- 1 Specimen spike of Gladiolus
- 3 Vases of Flowers (a different variety in each vase – no extra foliage)
- 1 Pot Geranium**
- 1 Pot Fuchsia**
- Flowering Pot Plant**
- Succulent Pot Plant**
- Foliage Pot Plant**
- Cactus Pot Plant**
**maximum 7” diameter measured across top of pot from edge to edge (classes 44 – 49)
- Square Floral Carpet (not exceeding 6” x 6”)
- Miniature Flower Arrangement (under 4” x 4”)
- Floral Arrangement “Psychedelic 60s” (not to exceed 15” overall)
- Arrangement in a Basket (not to exceed 15” overall)
- Photograph “Landmark”
- Photograph “Spring Bulbs”
- Jar Soft Fruit Jam (in 1lb jar)
- Jar Stone Fruit Jam (in 1lb jar)
- Jar Jelly (in 1lb jar)
- Jar Marmalade (in 1lb jar)
- Jar Lemon Curd (in 1lb jar)
- Sweet Chutney (in 1lb jar)
- Pickled Onions or Shallots
- 6 Bread Rolls
- 6 Sausage Rolls
- Apple Pie (with pastry top and bottom and no decoration)
- 6 Cheese Scones
- 6 Fruit Scones
- Bread Pudding or Bread and Butter Pudding
- Victoria Sandwich (see ingredients listed below)
- Fruit Cake (see ingredients listed below)
- 6 Decorated Cup Cakes
- Carrot Cake (any shape or size)
- Homemade Wine, Lager, Beer, Cider or Liquor
- Metal, Wood or Glass Item
- Knitting or Crochet item
- Cross Stich or Embroidery Item
- Artwork (Charcoal, Watercolour etc)
INGREDIENTS FOR CLASSES 69 & 70
| Victoria Sandwich
|6oz Self Raising Flour
||8oz Self Raising Flour
|6oz Caster Sugar
|6oz Butter or Margarine
||4oz Butter or Margarine
||1/8th pint Milk
|Cakes can be made in any size tin using the above ingredients only. Judges will use their discretion to disqualify cakes made using any other ingredients.
For more information contact Mike New Tel. 827807 or Angela Newton Tel 832034.
2016 Winners Presentation
£10 No. 58 Richard Sansum
£10 No. 7 Reg Kilfoyle
£10 No. 1 Lee Kilfoyle
£10 No. 44 Charlie Goodheart
A key has been found on the playing field. It looks to be a front door key. It can easily be identifed by the key fob/tag. Please call Angela Newton on 832034.
South Marston Gardening Club
Open Gardens Day
Sunday 30 July 2017 – 2pm – 5pm
Come Rain or Shine!
- Stonecroft, Thornhill Road
- Dryden House, Thornhill Road
- Church Farm House*, (Lane to the right of the Church)
- 1 Southview Cottages, Manor Farm Lane
- Leaze Cottage, Manor Farm Lane
*Refreshments available at Church Farm House, Toilets available on the playing field and Parking next to the School and Manor Farm Lane.
Ticket price £5 per family or £2 individual for entry into all Gardens – Tickets with map available now from Mike New 827807, Jenny McEwen 825312 or Angela Newton 832034 or on the day at any of the listed gardens.
We want you to enjoy the gardens and hope you have a lovely day.
Please can we ask that you respect the gardens and be mindful of your footing.
2-2:45pm Music by the Parabolics
2:45-3pm Childrens Fancy Dress
3-3:15 South Marston CofE School Choir
3:15-4pm Music by Dukebox Junkies (Duo)
4-4:15pm Zumba Demo by Tanja
4:15-4:45pm Music by Ian Kenna
4:45-5pm Raffle (£100 1st, £75 2nd, £50 3rd + over 30 more fabulous prizes)
Cake Request: The South Marston Recreation Association (SMRA) and South Marston Gardening Club would like to kindly ask for donations of cakes (whole, tray bakes or individual) for the refreshment stall (SMRA) and plant and produce stall (Gardening Club). Please drop off on the day before 2pm.
Children’s Fancy Dress: At 2:45 – 3pm. Cash prize to 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Prize to all entries. Age categories 0-4 years, 5-7 years and 8+ years.
Tug of War: We’re looking for teams of 6 adults (ladies or men) to take part. Is this something that you would like to take part in? Bring back an old village tradition. Alcohol to the winning team!
Volunteers: If you can spare an hour or two on the day, we would very much welcome your help. Please make yourself know at the refreshments stall.
Car Boot: £10 per car. Set up from 1pm.