Following queries from residents, the PC have met with the agent responsible for the roadworks within the village to address current issues and discuss their plans for the next stage. The discussions have been productive and the Parish Council will be working closely with the agents to reduce the impact on residents as much as is possible.
- In order to avoid excessive congestion at Pound corner, as far as possible, the contractors have agree to do this work during the school holiday period commencing Monday 28th May to Friday 1st June. A three way traffic light system will be put in place to control the single lane traffic.
- There were plans to close the Highworth road between Quarrybrook Close and Byron Court order to drill a cable tunnel under the culvert carrying South Marston brook. The contractor has agreed to alter this plan and retain a single lane traffic light controlled road. This is currently in operation at 17th May.
- Old Vicarage Lane is due to be closed in order to allow trance digging and cable installation under the railway tunnel. This is scheduled for Monday 21st June to Tuesday 5th June. This is the worse case scenario so may be open before this date.
- Any future road closures will be limited to one road, at any one time.
- Ongoing work includes: pulling the high voltage cable into sections of the previously laid cable pipe in the trench and then jointing each section of the cable; covering all the trench sites dug in the grass verges with top soil and grass seed; repairing all sections of the red rumble road sections and any similar sections of the marked walking area around Pound corner. At this time we do not have an end date for this work.
We thank all the residents for their patience whilst the work is going on. We will continue to speak regularly with the agents.
Annual Meeting of South Marston Parish Council
The Annual Meeting of South Marston Parish Council will be held on Tuesday 15th May 2018 at 6:45pm at the Village Hall. At this meeting, the Council will elect a Chair, Vice Chair, all Councillors will sign their acceptances of office and the Council will review and adopt their key policies. We will also be co-opting a new member to the Council. A copy of the agenda can be seen here.
May 2018 Council meeting
The next monthly meeting of the Parish Council will take place on Tuesday 15th May at 7:30pm in the Village Hall. An agenda can be seen here.
Members of the public are welcome to attend and ask questions during the Open 10 minutes at the start of the meeting.
April 2018 meeting minutes
The minutes from the April Parish Council meeting are available to read. In this meeting, the Parish Council discussed a wide range of topics, including:
- Issues with the ongoing cable installation in the village
- Reviewed local planning applications
- Approved a grant to support the village Youth Club
Please note that these minutes are draft until approved by the Parish Council at the next meeting. They can be seen here.
Don’t forget to join us and lend a hand with the village spring clean this weekend.
We are meeting at 11am at the Village Hall. Further details can be seen here
The agents delivering the cable installation work have confirmed the following:
Road closure: Old Vicarage Lane railway bridge
Access to the village via the bridge/A420/Old Vicarage Lane will be closed from around 8am on Monday 21st May to Tuesday 5th June 2018. Please note that this is worse case scenario and it may open earlier but this cannot be guaranteed.
Temporary traffic lights: Various locations
In addition to this, the workers will be excavating at points along the new cable route to pull and joint new cables. This work will involve two-way temporary traffic lights for a small section around the joint hole.
This will take place at:
- Old Vicarage Lane – Start: 08.05.18 Finish: 15.05.18
- Supermarine Road to Highworth Road – Start: 09.05.18 Finish: 16.05.18
- Highworth Road to end of Road Closure – Start: 10.05.18 Finish: 17.05.18
- Old Vicarage Lane – Start: 14.05.18 Finish: 21.05.18
- Highworth Road to end of Road Closure – Start: 16.05.18 Finish: 23.05.18
- Supermarine Road to Highworth Road – Start: 18.05.18 Finish: 25.05.18
We have asked the agent managing the work to restrict work outside school to half-term to avoid worsening traffic issues at school times. The agent will also be working to reduce the risk of HGV’s navigating Pound Corner to access Old Vicarage Lane.
We are aware of residents frustration with the ongoing roadworks as well as concerns about the damage and litter and the Parish Council are continuing to communicate with the agents.
Claire Penny, Parish Clerk
Swindon Borough Council are trialling a new voter ID system at the elections next week. Please remember to take either your polling card or a form of accepted identification along with you to the polling station.
Full details of what ID is accepted as well as information how it will work can be seen here