July 2017 meeting minutes
The minutes from the July Parish Council meeting are now available to read. In this meeting, the Parish Council discussed a wide range of topics, including:
- Updates on village services
- The Gardening Club Open Gardens event
- Discussion about the Lotmead application appeal
Please note that these minutes are draft until approved by the Parish Council at the next meeting. They can be seen here Minutes of monthly Council meetings
August 2017 meeting
The next meeting of the Parish Council will take place on Tuesday 15th August 2017 at 7:30pm in the Village Hall. An agenda can be seen here..
Members of the public are welcome to attend and ask questions during the Open 10 minutes at the start of the meeting.
Many homes in the village have been affected by smoke from the fires on the old hotel site. The Parish Council, our Borough Councillors and our MP have been informed and have all pressed for action.
On their initial visit Borough officers saw nothing untoward, but they will attend again.
The Parish Council has investigated how this came about and what can be done and a copy of the report is available from the Clerk. The nub of it is that the extent of the nuisance that enables the Borough’s officers to take effective action is a good deal worse than we might wish.
The Borough Public Protection officers have advised the Parish Council that:
• if residents call on 01793 445500 to report significant effects from visible smoke at any time arising from the activities on site then they will always contact them as soon as they are able, and to visit the site if appropriate. However they stress that they are unable to act on the odour arising from the burning which is happening, and can only consider acting where thick smoke is moving into residents homes as a result of the fire(s).
• officers will also proactively visit the site if and when they can to keep an eye on what is happening there
• if local residents consider that there is a real risk of fires becoming out of control, they should dial 999 and ask for the fire service.
• if residents consider that large quantities of unsuitable materials are being burned, such as tyres or plastics, and that toxic smoke is thus being produced; they should contact the Environment Agency on their incident hotline: 0800 807060.
The Parish Council are continuing to monitor the situation and remain in regular communication with Swindon Borough Council and other relevant organisations.
The Summer Kids Camp at South Marston Village Hall are now offering on block bookings or pay for one session and get a second session half price. Siblings are also half price.
See poster for all details. For enquiries, offer details and bookings, contact Tanja on 07850 729521 or Lucy on 07967 458372
There are still spaces available for blood donation at the Supermarine Sports & Social Club on Thursday 10th August & Tuesday 15th August 2017, between 12:05 – 15:30 & 16:40 – 19:25
To book an appointment please call 0300 123 23 23 or visit http://www.blood.co.uk
The Old Vicarage section of the Hotel site has been severely damaged by a fire that started on Friday evening, a week after demolition contractors started work on the site. No other buildings appear to have been affected.
It is a condition of the outline planning permission for the site that the building be kept and converted, subject to the usual financial viability test. The Victorian building was listed as a Heritage Asset in our draft Neighbourhood Plan.
Owner Paul Cripps, who is currently here on a visit from his home in Bermuda, attended the scene whilst the fire services were fighting the blaze. He suggested that the fire was probably started by vandals.
Colin McEwen, on behalf of South Marston Parish Council. 29.7.17