The programme for 2018 is now available Friendly Club Programme
SOUTH MARSTON FRIENDLY CLUB
WHO ARE WE?
The South Marston Friendly Club was established to serve people aged 50 and over who live in the local communities.
Provide sociable events which will interest members of this age group. This is achieved by arranging speakers to give talks and demonstrations, entertainers who deliver song and verse to achieve a diverse selection of activities. These activities are selected to stimulate interactive discussion with the speakers and members.
Members are made aware of information related to their age group obtained from statutory bodies and other similar organisations.
The Club is run by an elected committee of club members. The committee, of eight members, is chosen each year at the Annual General Meeting held on the second Tuesday in the month of June by the members. Serving committee members can be re-elected. There is no limit on length of service of committee members.
The current committee is as follows:
- Officers of the committee.
Sheila Jinks – Acting Chair &Treasurer Mike Hopkins -Acting Secretary
General committee members.
Jenny Barr, Maureen Morris, Jean Whitfield, Ray Harley, Valerie Goodheart, and Jenny McEwen
We have a club member to represent us on other Village Organisations:
- Parish Council representative – Vacancy
- South Marston Recreation Association representative – Ray Harley
These representatives are tasked with supplying information about our organisation and to advise us of any matters raised by these organisations which could affect us. They report to the committee.
CONDITIONS AND DETAILS OF MEMBERSHIP
- Anyone aged over 50 years old can be a member.
- Membership is currently limited to 80 members
- Our financial year is 1st June to 31st May.
- Annual subscription fee is £15.00 due on the1st June, at the start of the financial year. This annual subscription is to assist in the cost of venue hire, refreshments and one strip of raffle tickets provided to each member attending a meeting. Additional strips of raffle tickets can be purchased for 50p per strip at meetings.
- Annual subscription fee for those over 85 years of age is optional.
- New members who join the Club within three months from the end of the financial year pay a subscription of £4.00 for this period. i.e. from 1st March to 31st May.
- A charge per person of £1.00 is levied at each Club meeting for non members; this includes one strip of raffle tickets per person.
- Members’ birthdays are announced at Club meetings, and a birthday card is sent to the member to note this anniversary.
- On the sad occasion of a member death a donation of £25.00 is sent to the bereaved family or donated to a charity of their choice.
- Our meetings are held on the second Tuesday of the month and held in the Village Hall commencing at 2.00pm
- Due to Village Hall insurance conditions the maximum number of attendees at meetings is limited to 60 people.
- A time table of events is issued to all members and published in the local Newsletter and on the Village web site.
- Committee meetings are generally held every two months or as required. Minutes are recorded at these meetings.
- The Club does not have any public liability insurance and members on outings arranged for them by the Club do so at their own risk
- Income from annual membership fee is the basic revenue stream.
- We organise regular raffles, book sales and bric a brac sales to generate revenue.
- Local businesses are contacted to request financial assistance when necessary.
- If applicable grants will be requested.
- Other fund raising activities, organised by Club members are held during the year at Village events.
- Fund raising revenue allows a subsidy to be applied to some of our outings.
- The annual income and expenditure account is independently audited and issued at the AGM.
Friendly Club Programme
SOUTH MARSTON FRIENDLY CLUB
|MEETING DATE||TIME||ACTIVITY DESCRIPTION|
|Tuesday 12th January||2.00 pm|| Social Afternoon
With Bingo, Tea or Coffee and Homemade Cakes
|Tuesday 9th February||2.00 pm||Step back in Time Gramophone Records 78 rpm
1950’s & 60’s Everyday life at the time
|Wednesday 24th February||10.00 am||Visit to Welford Park Snowdrops £5 includes hot Drink On to Newbury for Lunch
FREE COACH 10.00am to 4.00pm
|Tuesday 8th March||2.00 pm||Friendship Thrice Tested
A Fascinating Journey Across Tibet
By Peter Noble
|Tuesday 12th April||2.00 pm||Poems of Farming and Village Life
By Paul Evans
|Tuesday 10th May||2.00 pm||Talk & Slides Chelsea Flower Show
By Jeff Bolton
| Tuesday 14th June
|2.00 pm||A Decade in Gascogne
Amusing stories about renovation of a Cottage
& Sale of Jewellery by John Clarke
|Tuesday 12th July||2.00 pm||Samaritans
A Talk by Maria Atkinson
|Tuesday 9th August||2.00 pm||Afternoon Cream Tea|
|Tuesday 13th September||2.00 pm||Crop Circles Revealed
By Margaret Nichols
|Tuesday 11th October||2.00 pm||To Be Advised|
|Tuesday 8th November||2.00 pm||British Butterflies
Talk with Coloured Slides
By Derek Remington
|Tuesday 13th December||12.00=noon||Christmas Lunch|
All Meetings are held at the South Marston Village Hall
Annual membership £15.00 (Includes refreshments & 5 raffle tickets at each meeting)
Tuesday 12th November – In the Village Hall
A very good afternoon entertainment was provided by Paul Evans who recited poems and monologues from fun to serious emotions.
For members and non- members we will have an outing to Salisbury Christmas Market on Tuesday 3rd December Departure from South Marston at 9.30pm and back by 5.00pm
Wednesday 4th December
Members have been invited to attend the Highworth Warneford School Christmas Concert. Time 2.00pm to 3.30 pm.
Tuesday 10th December
We will be holding our Christmas Lunch at the South Marston Mercure Hotel at 12 noon. We will be entertained by Rev George Fleming who will be telling us many funny stories.
Tuesday 17th December
We have been invited to attend an entertainment afternoon at South Marston School. Start time 2.00 pm.
Tuesday 14th January 2014 – in the Village Hall at 2.00 pm.
Musical entertainment will be provided Kieran Pocock on his keyboard.
Events in 2014: Theatre trips
Wednesday 2nd July 2014 – Tonight’s the Night –The Rod Stewart Musical at Bristol
Saturday 4th October 2014 – Riverdance at Bristol
Call Josie Tel 828080 for details of costs and times. Early reservation is required to obtain good seating positions.
Holiday: The Friendly Club holiday at the Thoresby Hall Hotel was an outstanding success. The accommodation and facilities were praised by all those on the holiday. Our outings to Chatsworth House, Sherwood Forest and a boat trip on the River Trent were not troubled by the weather. It all worked out very well. Sincere thanks to Sheila Jinks for a well organised holiday!
Tuesday 8th October – In the Village Hall: A talk was to be given by Val Threlfall on the Secrets of the Honeymoon Suitcase. Unfortunately she was not able to attend. However, Lynda Warren was able to talk to us at short notice. She gave a talk on ‘A Dickens of a Christmas’ which was about Victorian England in the time of Charles Dickens, his life, times and his books.
Tuesday 12th November – In the Village Hall at 2.00pm: A talk will be given by Paul Lewis on Pam Ayres
Christmas Markets: Members resident in South Marston have the opportunity to register to go on the outing to the Victorian Festival of Christmas in Portsmouth on
Friday 29th November. The closing date for reservations is 7th November, as indicated in the October Tower & Tap and posted on the village notice boards.
For members and non-members, we will have an outing to Salisbury Christmas Market on Tuesday, 3rd December. Departure from South Marston at 9.30pm and back by 5.00pm. Contact Josie for reservations and further details on 828080.
Wednesday, 4th December: Members have been invited to attend the Highworth Warneford School Christmas Concert. Time 2.00pm to 3.30pm. Advise Brian by 19th November on 826243 if you wish to attend the concert and have not put your name on the list.
Tuesday, 10th December: We will be holding our Christmas Lunch at the South Marston Mercure Hotel at 12 noon. We will be entertained by Rev. George Fleming who will be telling us many funny stories.
Tuesday, 17th December: We have been invited to attend an entertainment afternoon as South Marston School. The date is provisional at present – conﬁrmation of the details when known.
Events in 2014: TheatreTrips
Wednesday, 2nd July 2014 – Tonight’s the Night – The Rod Stewart Musical at Bristol
Saturday, 4th October 2014 – Riverdance at Bristol
Call Josie on 828080 for details of costs and times. Early reservation is required to obtain good seating positions
Tuesday 9th April
A talk was to be given by John James-Davidson on handwriting but whilst travelling to South Marston, he was involved in a car accident with a deer. We reverted to a social afternoon.
Tuesday 14th May– In the Village Hall at 2.00pm
A talk will be given by Wiltshire Farm foods advising us of the selection of foods they supply. A tasting session will be given at the meeting.
Tuesday 21st May – Outing
The outing is a trip to Bournemouth. Departure from South Marston is at 9.30am (by car park). Return arrival time approx. 6.30pm
Tuesday 11th June– In the Village Hall at 2.00pm
Annual General Meeting. Members are requested to send their nominations for election to the committee to the secretary, Brian McGlone. Following the AGM a talk will be given by Graham Carter on Alfred Williams in South Marston.
Friendly Club Annual Holiday – September 2013
An opportunity not to be missed – open to non members
Our annual Holiday this year will be to Nottingham staying at Warners Thoresby Hall Hotel for 4 nights departing from South Marston on the Monday 30th September and returning Friday 4th October. This will include various day trips during our stay. Barnes Coaches will be supplying the transport. The hotel has 30 acres of gardens and is on the edge of Sherwood Forest.
The cost for dinner, bed and breakfast for 4 nights is £330 per person. Anyone over 50 who would like to join us will be made very welcome. Please contact Sheila 828545 for details and to book the holiday.
The Friendly Club – Recent Events
Tuesday 13th November
A talk was be given by Alan Fletcher on “Guide dogs for the blind” He brought his dog Joy with him which he has had for over six years. He and his wife Shirley informed us how from the first steps of puppy selection to the training of the dogs and people who are recipients of a dog are carried out. It was very informative and we were made aware of the hard work the many volunteers do to make the whole system work. There is a high cost, covered mainly by donations, to reach this final achievement of a fully trained working dog.
The Friendly Club – Future Events.
Tuesday 11th December – Christmas lunch
Our Christmas Lunch for club members is to be held at the Barrington Arms Hotel at 12 noon. The entertainment will be by Ken & Steve.
Tuesday 18th December – Christmas Concert at South Marston School.
The school has invited members to attend their Christmas Concert. It is being held at the school and starts at 2.00pm.
Tuesday 8th January – In the Village Hall at 2.00pm
A talk will be given by Lynda Warren on the topic The Wartime Kitchen.
Tuesday 12th February – In the Village Hall at 2.00pm
A talk will be given by Gail Leaman on the work of the Wiltshire Search and Rescue Team
Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to our members.