South Marston Pre-School is a registered charity and was created to provide high quality Pre-school education for children who live within South Marston and surrounding villages. The Pre-school offers a valuable community service and we actively support the village. Our links to the local Primary School are particularly strong, ensuring entry to school is as trouble-free as possible. We also have very strong links to the village church.
Our aim is to ensure that our children are well taught and that they have every opportunity to develop their talents. We like to feel that this is a happy school where children respect each other and the adults that they meet.
Alison LoweHeadteacher South Marston School Old Vicarage Lane South Marston SN3 4SH Website: http://www.southmarstonprimary.org/
At South Marston Primary School
Children 0 to under 5yrs
Expectant mums welcome
Tuesdays: 1.30pm – 2.30pm
(Term time only)
50p charge per family
Telephone: Saplings Children’s Centre – 01793 829996
On 22nd January 2009, our team of qualified and experienced crèche/support workers, commenced a weekly Stay and Play session at South Marston Primary School between 1.30-2.30pm (term time only). These sessions are suitable for ‘mums to be’ (bumps) to children under five with their parents/carers. It provides an ideal opportunity for parents/carers to make new friends whilst playing with their children, who enjoy learning through play. The sessions are free of charge and are run on a drop-in basis with no need to book.
Stay and Play is run by the Saplings Children’s Centre, based in Delamere Drive, Stratton St Margaret, and it officially opened its doors on 10th May 2008.
Children Centre’s are service hubs where children under five years old and their families/carers can receive seamless integrated services and information. By 2010, every community will be served by a Sure Start Children’s Centre, offering permanent universal provision across the country, ensuring that every child gets the best start in life.
Saplings are able to offer the following services:
- Support for parents/carers – including advice on parenting, local childcare options and access to specialist services for families.
- Child and family health services – ranging from health screening, health visitor services to breast-feeding support.
- Child and family health services, including ante-natal services
- Parental outreach
- Family support services
- Support to childminders and a base for a childminder network
- Support for children and parents/carers with special needs
- Effective links with Jobcentre Plus to support parents/carers who wish to consider training or employment.
- Appropriate support and outreach services to parents/carers and children who have been identified as in need of them
- Information and advice to parents/carers on a range of subjects, including: local childcare, looking after babies and young children, local early years provision (childcare and early learning) education services for 3 &; 4 year olds and tax credits
- Drop-in sessions and other activities for children, parents/carers at the centre and off site, such as South Marston Primary and Beechcroft Infants School.
Facilities at the Centre include:
- A community kitchen where Healthy Eating and Cooking on a Budget courses have run
- An indoor crèche with an outdoor play area
- Meeting rooms for training and community events
- Clinic rooms for easy contact with other professionals
The Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust provides a free of charge home security service for elderly, disabled and disadvantaged members of the community. Based at Chippenham Police Station, they cover the whole of Wiltshire and Swindon, with three Home Office trained crime reduction officers/carpenters driving workshop-fitted vans. They visit those particularly at risk of intruders and make practical – and free – improvements to their home security, so that they can sleep peacefully at night – something the majority of us take for granted.
The Parish Church of South Marston is part of the Stratton St. Margaret Team. The Church office for South Marston is located atSt. Margaret’s Church Centre, Kenwin Close, Stratton.
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings
8.30 am – 12 noon,
Tel: 01793 826505. All enquiries for christenings and weddings should be made to the Rev Vicky Fleming on 827021.
Team Staff Members are:
Team Rector: The Rev’d Victor Howlett 822793
Team Vicar: The Rev’d Vicky Fleming 827021
Hon Curate: The Rev’d Phil Ashby 759008
Lay Minister: Dan Read 763016
Lay Minister: Christine Burstan 822403
Lay Minister: Rob Stewart 766713
The September 2009 edition of Tower and Tap is now available here: tt_september_09
Some good news – Swindon Borough Council have finally agreed that we should have an integrated plan for the development of the village.
Parish Council Chairman Colin McEwen said
“this is a sensible decision that enables us to include the existing village and two planned housing schemes in an integrated plan. We can’t do much about the quantity of houses, but we can influence the quality of the design”